hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all - emily dickinson

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Waiting is...

So, I've had some time to be introspective tonight.  As I journaled and read through some Scripture, I came across a quote I had written down back in college. I thought it was appropriate to share and hopefully, encouraging to the 9 people who might check my blog.  It's from Elisabeth Elliot's "Passion and Purity" and she is actually quoting S.D. Gordon in "Quiet Talks on Prayer".  It's all about waiting...

"Waiting is...
     steadfastness, that is holding on;
     patience, that is holding back;
     expectancy, that is holding the face up;
     obedience, that is holding one's self in readiness to go or do;
     listening, that is holding quiet and still so as to hear."

Elisabeth then writes, "How long Lord must I wait? with this response, "Never mind, child. Trust me."

And as I read this, I thought to myself... yes, waiting can be hard. Not knowing what you're waiting for can be even harder. But in the meantime, instead of focusing on the unknown and the time "wasted"... look how much waiting teaches me, grows me, and reflects more of Christ's character in me - if I'll allow His perfect work to be done as I wait.

So, I find myself thankful for time gone by. For a Father that's jealous for precious time with me - to teach, grow, shape and love on a heart He delights to call his daughter.

Can you trust Him with your time? There are no safer hands...

"...steadfast love surrounds the one who trusts in the Lord" Psalm 32:10b

2 comments:

  1. Love this! Reminiscent of my devotion from yesterday. Hoping, trusting, and waiting are a strong cord of three strands with trust being the center strand. Hoping and waiting strengthen the trust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminder, Becks. I often repeat to myself Elisabeth Elliot's quote, "Give it to Jesus. Give it to Jesus." Simple thought, hard concept to follow. - Gia

    ReplyDelete